Crime, National Security & Justice
Government’s first responsibility is to protect its citizens by building a strong, safe community. In order to do this the NDP in collaboration with stakeholders and the entire nation would seek to:-
- Implement the Spiritual, Social Redemption Charter as the prime mechanism to deal with issues pertaining to our emphasis on the prevention of crime.
- Increase Police manpower to focus on beat and other patrols.
- Establish a visible police presence in communities, especially those with high crime rates.
- Reduce police response times.
- Establish of a Crime Prevention Department within the Ministry
- Introduce the Crime Stoppers Program.
- Introduce tougher sentences for sexual offenders.
- Provide the Coast Guard with the requisite manpower and technical resources to ensure the safety of our territorial waters.
- Supply chase and pursue vessels to empower the Coast Guard to do its job efficiently.
- Create an Independent Fire Service with substations island wide inclusive of the Campden Park Industrial estate.
- Improve officer training.
- Establish a specific Police Women’s Department.
- Support Random drug testing in our prisons.
- Provide adequate training for Prison Officers.
- Strengthen our Forensic Lab.
- Establish an ntelligence and Counter Intelligence Unit with special focus on our Airports and Seaports to counteract terrorism and drug trafficking.
- Create a first response department with emphasis on responding and handling reports of Domestic Violence and Violence against women.